Filariasis is an infectious tropical disease caused by any one of several thread-like parasitic round worms. The two species of worms most often associated with this disease are Wuchereria bancrofti and Brugia malayi.
- One one of the most derogatory disease in the world.
- According to WHO India has 40% of global LF burden due to poor environmental condition in selective pockets.
- Highest prevalence was noted in Maharashtra.
- The national filaria control programme was introduced in India in 1955.
SYNONYMS OF FILARIASIS
1 Bancroftian filariasis
2 Filarial Elephantiasis
3 Filariasis Malayi
5 Malayi tropical eosinphilia
MAJOR SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
- Blocked lymph duct
- Pain in testicles
- Enlarged groin lymph nodes
- Pain above testicles
- Massive leg swelling
- Severe swelling
- Skin ulceration
- Episodic fever
DISTRICT LEVEL mF PREVELANCE IN INDIA (2006)
FILARIASIS PREVALENT IN INDIA (2018)